Monday, 26 June 2017

ru  | en

NAVAL CATHEDRAL OF SAINT NICOLAY THE MIRACLEWORKER

Address:  Kronstadt

Design — 2009–2013
Realization — 2009–2013

Acknowledgement of the President of the Russian Federation.

The Patriarchal Commendation for contribution to restoration of the Kronstadt Sea cathedral for the sake of St. Nikolay the Miracleworker.

Laureate of the «Best project of 2012 realized in the field of investments and construction» Competition.

 

The Kronstadt Naval Cathedral was built in 1901–1913 by the architect V. Kosyakov and is considered to be one of the artistic achievements of the pre–revolutionary epoch. A cinema, then a club and a museum were located in the Cathedral at the Soviet period. It was partially rebuilt in 1929–1930 and 1953–1954.

In 2009 progressive deterioration of the building structures and the necessity to restore the original functions lead to establishing of the Naval Cathedral Guardianship Board.

It was possible to comply with the restoration mode in full: luckily, the drawings of V. Kosyakov were preserved. The consequences of the Soviet period represented by «non–regular» trusses, floors and partitions have been disassembled, flies and the stage itself, balconies and the projection room have been dismantled, and the floor gradient of the former theater hall has been removed. Impregnation and reinforcement of the building foundations and walls have been performed, the basement has been half–meter deepened, all the technical filling has been successfully hidden in the crawl space, and the refectory with a kitchen, the baptistery, the patriarch reception office, the superior chamber and technical premises have been placed over the crawl space. The Naval Glory Museum has been preserved on the second level. Roofing has been replaced, balcony parapets have been restored, the lost (except for one) bells and crowning cross have been molded. The refectory may function as an assembly hall as well.

As a result, the Naval Cathedral will presumably become the center of Kronstadt public life, attracting not only church–goers.

Technical and economic performance:

  • Building area — 0,34 hectares
  • Total area — 6 578,83 m², including:
    • Under–ground block — 2 836,3 m²
    • Above–ground block — 3 742,53 m²
  • Number of storeys — 3
  • Top mark of the object — 75,3 m
  • Total structural volume — 104 323,8 m³
Object category: Religious buildings